Tuesday 24 August 2010

6 Ways to Kill Your Servers - Learning How to Scale the Hard Way

6 Ways to Kill Your Servers - Learning How to Scale the Hard Way: "


This is a guest post by Steffen Konerow, author of the High Performance Blog.


Learning how to scale isn’t easy without any prior experience. Nowadays you have plenty of websites like highscalability.com to get some inspiration, but unfortunately there is no solution that fits all websites and needs. You still have to think on your own to find a concept that works for your requirements. So did I.


A few years ago, my bosses came to me and said “We’ve got a new project for you. It’s the relaunch of a website that has already 1 million users a month. You have to build the website and make sure we’ll be able to grow afterwards”. I was already an experienced coder, but not in these dimensions, so I had to start learning how to scale – the hard way.



"

No comments:

Post a Comment